Background

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Euros, Cola, and Roller Derby

As you read in my previous post my day started off pretty early. So as I was buzzing about online I got to watch the sunrise over York St. Everything was really quiet, no people on the streets and no cars going by, and I could hear the birds singing. It was rather lovely.
I always wonder what the money looks like in other countries. When my dad moved into his house, there were some Francs up in the attic and I thought they were the coolest thing since sliced bread! And I've had a couple friends travel to other counties so I always get to look at their money. So I naturally I had to take a picture of it (just in case I end up spending it all lol).
I set out to find Bewley's Cafe on Grafton St. and when I walked by it looked really fancy from the outside so I didn't go in. I have jeans and a hoodie on, so I didn't want to be the weird one. I found out from one of the Dublin Roller Girls that it's really not fancy and I could have went in, but I found a little coffee shop area inside of a store called Marks and Spencers, which is semi fancy and there I was in my jeans...lol oh well. I would probably compare it to Von Maur or something along those lines. But I had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich and a cola. The pop kind of tasted like carbonated raisin juice, but I liked it. The back of the bottle said "vegetarian" on it which I found kind of funny because I just assumed that my pop didn't contain meat...but I guess you learn something new every day???I sat at the single row of window seats and across the street from the cafe was this place in the picture below. Now can someone tell me what herbal remedies, cosmetics and photography all have in common? There are a lot of these place here...I think I'm missing something, but I haven't figured it out yet.So after breakfast, I wandered around a bit more just trying to get the lay of the city (which is impossible BTW). All the buildings are gorgeous and look like they just came out of a storybook. There are flower vendors on every street corner, literally. But the majority of the shops weren't open yet so I just walked around for a couple hours. The bottom of the two pictures reminds me of Gringotts, the wizarding bank.This is the ceiling in the elevator at the hostel. I went back midday to take a nap before I met up with the Dublin Roller Girls.I met Kitty Cadaver and her fiance Violent Bob at the Spire which is this giant spike in the middle of O'Connell Street, pretty much Dublin center. I didn't get a good picture of it because the camera wouldn't focus on it. It was dark and the top of it just disappears, but here's a tiny piece of the side lol. This looks like it's sunset, but I had to Photoshop it so you could see it, I assure you it was dark. We took the bus out to where they practice at and Kitty gave me a sticker and some pins :) I LOVE their logo, it's like the perfect combination of girly and hardcore at the same time. Good graphic design work (yep I'm a nerd). They let me borrow some of the fresh meat skates to practice with them in and I borrowed pads from the coach. I skated for a little while, but not skating for six months in combination with the massive blister that encompasses the entire ball of my right foot didn't help so I took the skates off and watched the rest of their practice. It was super awesome to see how another team runs drills and their team dynamic. I can't wait for the semester to be over so I can get back to practicing in May!!
After practice we went to Burger King hahaha and it's way cooler than the one's we have in the States!! It's two stories and they have LED monitors for their menu boards, but they also don't have everything that we have on the menu. No Whopper Jr. for instance. I just couldn't believe how fancy schmancy the BK was! Definitely cracked me up!
After we said our good-bye's I started walking back to my hostel and I had to cross the Liffey River. I stopped on the bridge and snapped an awesome picture of all the street lights reflecting on the river.
That's all for today, it's 1:18a and I'm off to bed. I have to be at the Tourist Office at 6:30a tomorrow for my tour to Northern Ireland (Belfast and the Giants Causeway).

No comments:

Post a Comment