Background

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Denver Derby Day



Waking up at negative bajillion in the morning definitely sucked for the flight, but I was so excited about going to Denver that I didn't really care. Not to mention the flight was 20 minutes shorter than expected. The Denver Airport is the scariest place I've ever been. Awhile back I watched a documentary on how conspiracy theorist believe that the New World Order constructed it to commit a mass genocide, so I had that in the back of my mind the entire time I was there. The picture above is one of the murals they talk about in the documentary.

One of the things I was looking forward to in Denver was seeing for real mountains, but when I landed I couldn't see any out of the plane window. But as soon as I got out of the airport there they were...MOUNTAINS!!!



Jen took me downtown Denver so I could see all the cool shenanigans there before we went to her house and because my bad luck doesn't just effect me it has to get everyone around me, her muffler falls off her truck...right in the middle of one of the busiest roads in Denver!! I swear that everything I touch breaks (later I went to the bathroom at her house and I shut the door and pulled the knob right off!) I suck lol. But we pulled over in front of the "world's largest discount laundry." I love seeing the "world's largest...."


We get back to Jen's house and get all settled in and then we're off to DERBYVILLE! An entirely derby dedicated store in Denver. I had stumbled across it when I was checking out the Rocky Mountain Roller Girls. So naturally we had to check it out. We, of course, drive past it the first time and on the way back spot this really weird looking building which turns out to be the BIGGEST resale/vintage/costume shop I have ever seen. We browsed that for quite awhile. All kinds of awesome stuff in there, but unfortunately there were signs everywhere saying that we couldn't take pictures :( After that quick pit stop, we found Derbyville, which was everything I imaged it to be. Absolutely adorable, girly and BA at the same time, and Amy was the cutest thing ever! And so incredibly nice. We chatted derby and I got to put a sticker up on the map for Michigan. I bought an uber cute shirt and got a sweet bout poster with the amazing artwork of Jay Vollmar.




Then it was back to the house for a much needed nap and to get ready for the bout at the Filmore: Rocky Mountain Roller Girls vs. San Diego Derby Dolls. What an intense game!! I had never seen such an amazing game of roller derby ever played. I should have known it was going to be incredible since RMRG were the 2010 Championship Winners. They had cheerleaders, a mascot and the coolest announcing system ever. Not to mention the Filmore was absolutely gorgeous. I was impressed from the get go, then the game started and I don't think my mouth closed the entire game. The final score was RMRG 296 - SDDD 25...they got creamed, but fought right down to the last jam. I can't even express in words how cool it was without sounding like a blubbering idiot. Just know, if you weren't there, you suck and missed the best thing I have ever seen.




Their after party is at this place called the Beauty Bar, you can get martini's and your nails did at the same time. It was very 80's retro nail salon meets bar/club. Super cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment